Picturing Pontefract Castle


Click on image to enlarge

Item number: P2004.2

The keep seen from the 'rustic' bridge in the kitchens in 1902 after the grounds were opened as a park. The view has been 'improved' by linking the remains of the curtain wall to the terrace door and keep. The path from the steps has been diverted and the artist has re-aligned the window shaped hole at the top of the keep to improve the composition